It was created in 1961 for the Tama Tech Park, a Honda-owned motorsports theme park, at the Suzuka circuit. In 1967 Honda built the Monkey for the road, and since then it has created quite a cult following. Now, this new funster, boasts upside down forks, front and rear disc brakes with ABS, digital LCD display, chrome details and a strong 125cc engine.
The glossy 5.6L fuel tank, finished in the same paint colour as the frame, swing arm and rear shocks, crowns the machine, and proudly wears a historical 3-D Old Wing design Honda logo. Chromed steel high-level front and rear mudguards – plus the evocatively-stamped exhaust shield, circular mirrors and high-rise handlebars – all pay homage to the original.
- Paying homeage: The 2018 Monkey hasn’t forgotten it’s roots. Styling, paint and chromed parts draw heavily on the original. Naturally the classic Monkey style had to provide the cues for the new model. A trapezoid silhouette highlights the compact length, while adding depth and substance to its stance. Simple, curved surfaces are designed independently of each other and feature throughout.
- LCD: A digital full-LCD circular meter features speedometer (which winks playfully when the ignition is turned on).
- LED: All lighting on the 2018 Monkey is LED. Keeping it nice and bright at night.
- True to origins: True to its origins, the Monkey’s horizontal SOHC 125cc single-cylinder engine is simple, robust and tuned to deliver useful about-town performance.
- Fuel Economy: The gearbox is 4-speed and the engine returns fuel economy of 67km/l (WMTC mode).
- Perfect Balance: The Monkey’s steel backbone frame has been tuned for a suitable balance between rigidity and supple feel – perfect for the wide variety of conditions the machine is sure to be ridden in. Oval in cross-section, the swingarm echoes the circular design theme that runs through the bike.
- USD Forks: USD front forks wear a premium Alumite finish and are matched by dual rear shocks with 104mm of axle travel. Maximum ground clearance is 160mm.
|Bore × Stroke (mm)||52.4 x 57.9mm|
|Carburation||PGM-FI electronic fuel injection|
|Engine Displacement (cc)||125cc|
|Engine Type (cm³)||Air-cooled SOHC 4-stroke 2-valve|
|Max. Power Output||6.9kW @ 7,000rpm|
|Max. Torque||11Nm @ 5,250rpm|
|Oil Capacity (Litres)||Upper 1.1 litres; lower 0.9 litres|
|Brakes Front||Single 220 mm hydraulic disc with IMU-based ABS|
|Brakes Rear||Single 190mm hydraulic disc|
|Suspension Front||USD fork, 100mm axle travel|
|Suspension Rear||Twin shock, 104mm axle travel|
|Tyre Size Front||120/80-12 65J|
|Tyre Size Rear||130/80-12 69J|
|Wheels Front||10-spoke cast aluminium|
|Wheels Rear||10-spoke cast aluminium|
Dimensions and Weights
|Dimensions (L×W×H) (mm)||1,710 x 755 x 1,029mm|
|Frame type||Steel backbone frame|
|Fuel Tank Capacity (Litres)||5.6 litres|
|Fuel Consumption||67km/litre (WMTC mode)|
|Ground Clearance (mm)||160mm|
|Kerb Weight (kg)||107kg|
|Seat Height (mm)||776mm|
|Transmission Type||4 speed|
Instruments and Electrics