€16,200 – €17,300
Building on the CRF1000L Africa Twin impressive features and chassis the new CRF1000L Africa Twin Adventure Sports version extends the platform even further into long-range off-road ready territory.
A new version of Honda’s Africa Twin is ready for Adventure Sports in 2018, with larger fuel tank for a range of over 500km, higher riding position, greater ground clearance, heated grips, extended fairing plus longer travel suspension.
- Better riding position: The Africa Twin Adventure Sports’ steel semi-double cradle frame provides nimble on-road manners plus high-speed stability matched to genuine off-road ability, agility and strength. For extended off-road use the seat features a flatter profile – and is 50mm taller – than the standard CRF1000L Africa Twin.
- Throttle by wire: The Africa Twin Adventure Sports’ 998cc SOHC 8-valve parallel-twin engine’s 2018 upgrade sees it receive Throttle By Wire (TBW) plus riding modes and expanded Honda Selectable Torque Control (HSTC).
- New styling: The Africa Twin Adventure Sports’ styling is less minimalist than the Africa Twin; the dual headlights are shared but it has a larger fairing matched with an 80mm taller screen to offer greater wind protection. It also features heated grips as standard plus an AC socket.
- Ground clearance: Good ground clearance – crucial to off-road performance – starts with a compact, short engine. So the crankcases are split vertically; the water pump is housed within the clutch casing with a thermostat integrated into the cylinder head. Manual and DCT versions of the engine share common crankcases with only minor external differences. There are also 3 levels of Power and Engine Braking available.
- Long battery: New for 2018 a lithium-ion battery is 2.3kg lighter than the lead unit of the 2017 Africa Twin, and offers greater longevity, both in terms of life and the ability to hold onto a charge when left.
- Caution: The rear indicators offer an Emergency Stop Signal function. The hazard lights flash, warning other road users a hard stop is in process. The indicators now also auto-cancel. Rather than using a simple timer, the system compares front and rear wheel speed difference and calculates when to cancel the indication relative to the situation.
|Bore × Stroke (mm)||92.0 x 75.1mm|
|Engine Displacement (cc)||998|
|Engine Type||Liquid-cooled 4-stroke 8-valve parallel twin with 270° crank and uni-cam|
|Max. Power Output||70kW/7,500rpm (95/1/EC)|
|Max. Torque||99Nm/6,000rpm (95/1/EC)|
|Suspension Front||Showa 45mm cartridge-type inverted telescopic fork with hydraulic dial-style preload and damping (compression & rebound) adjuster, 252mm stroke, 224mm axle travel|
|Suspension Rear||Monoblock cast aluminium swing arm with Pro-Link with gas-charged damper, hydraulic dial-style preload adjuster and rebound damping adjustment, 240 mm rear wheel travel, 101 mm stroke|
|Tyre Size Front||90/90-21 tube type|
|Tyre Size Rear||150/70-R18 tube type|
|Rim Front||21M/C x MT2.15|
|Rim Rear||18M/C x MT4.00|
Dimensions and Weights
|Dimensions (mm) (L x W x H)||2,340 x 930 x 1,570mm|
|Frame type||Aluminum die-cast, twin tube|
|Fuel Tank Capacity (Litres)||24.2 litres|
|Ground Clearance (mm)||270mm|
|Kerb Weight (kg)||243 kg (MT), 253kg (DCT)|
|Seat Height (mm)||900/920mm|
|Clutch ABS||Wet, multiplate with coil springs, Aluminium Cam Assist and Slipper clutch|
|Clutch DCT||2 Wet multiple clutches|
|Final Drive||O-ring sealed chain|
|Gearbox ABS||Constant mesh 6-speed|
|Gearbox DCT||/ 6-speed DCT with on and off-road riding modes|
Instruments and Electrics
|Headlights||Dual LED (1 High/1 Low)|
|Instruments||Rally style negative LCD instrument display including: Riding Modes, Speedometer, Tachometer, Fuel, Gear position, ABS, HSTC, Odometer, Trip and Clock|
|Taillight & Indicators||LED|